Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tulsa-Holy Family Cathedral - Steve Kennedy



Holy Family Cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Tulsa, located at 810 South Boulder Avenue. The parish chose architect J.P. Curtin of the Tulsa firm Curtin, Winkler, and MacDonald to design the church. Curtin was chosen over architect William P. Ginther of Akron Ohio, who built many Roman Catholic churches throughout the midwest. 
Construction began May 23, 1912, and Mass dedicating the church was on April 1, 1914. It was the tallest building in Tulsa until the Mayo Hotel was built in 1923.
It was included on the National Register of Historic Places February 11, 1982. 
I used to attend church at the Cathedral.  Personally I found it not the most intimate of settings because of its size and acoustics, but if you sat close to the front it became smaller for focusing on the worship.  Although I found myself struggling a bit at times to hear the speaker well and thought the acoustics from the design perhaps a bit off.
I was always amazed at the architecture of the exterior and interior, and was especially awed by the carvings you see in the interior picture here.  The buttresses and ribbed buttresses remind me of the Cathedrals of Old.  I don't know if they are structural or faux, but they look great.


No comments:

Post a Comment