Monday, June 23, 2014

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO - Steve Kennedy



Add caption

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is an art museum in Kansas City, Missouri, known for its neoclassical architecture and extensive collection of Asian art.  It was opened in 1933 and is located close to Kansas Ciiy's Country Club Plaza District.  The original structure is Modern, Neoclassical architecture. It was designed by architects Steven Holl, William Wight, and Thomas Wight.  It has a grand feel to it; kind of like the KC Union Station feature I posted in an earlier blog.
  1. In 2007 additions to the original building were completed.  The design was done by the original architect's firm, Steven Holl Architects.  It is very modern and done in a stunning, contrasting style to the original structure.  The Light is the captivating feature, exemplified by the adjacent reflective water surface.
    I have never been a big fan of museums.  I tend to be ready to leave not long after arriving.  However, I like this museum as well as any I have visited, and I have been in-tow to quite a few.  I found myself going to this museum on several occasions when I had the time, even by myself.  The spacious grounds add an additional element to its setting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment