Tuesday, June 24, 2014

House on the Rock--Devon Triebold

The House on the Rock is one of the few attractions in Wisconsin that I remember seeing from my childhood. It was apparently built in the design it was to spite Frank Lloyd Wright, because it borrowed elements from his buildings and made them stranger. The thing that struck me was how many times there were things added on to the original building and surrounding areas, and how there didn't seem to be any noticeable theme (that I could see; I was only 9 or 10 when I visited this house.) Beyond what is shown here, the house features a whale skeleton, a bright red carousel, and a collection of musical instruments, and an "infinity room."

This house struck me as overwhelmingly busy, eccentric, and unique. To a child, it was great to see, because there was a ton to look at, and every room was something completely different. I want to go back now that I'm older and see if my perspective on the building has changed from the last time I went there.

No comments:

Post a Comment