Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Il Colosseo- Chase Ossenkop

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to visit the Colosseum in Rome. My little brother and I used to read books about it together growing up and pretend we were gladiators fighting in front of the emperor (our dad). We played video games that had the Colosseum in them and we both few up with a fascination for this structure. Seeing this building has been on my bucket list for as long as I remember.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got a chance to visit this building. I studied abroad in Italy for the last 3 weeks of May directly after finals week, and Rome was the last city we visited as a group. Looking at the schedule, I saw that the Colosseum was on our agenda. I was ecstatic. The day that we went to the Colosseum, we spent four hours just walking around and looking at all the things they had on exhibit as well just looking into the Colosseum and how it was built. We learned about the structure of the underground chambers and how they were separated for animals and humans, we also learned about the plumbing system and the inlets that historians believe allowed water into there Colosseum for aquatic battle reenactments. The size of this building is amazing, and seeing it in person is an experience I would not trade for anything. It was one of my favorite experiences in Italy, and I will cherish it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment