Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ely Cathedral - Austin Heyne


The Ely Cathedral, or formally, The Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Ely, was the first and one of my favorite cathedrals I visited in europe. Located in Cambridgeshire, England it was close to where I lived and was a common local landmark. At night local and military pilots would use it as a point of reference when flying. While living there I was lucky enough to attend a Christmas Eve service. It is hard to describe and you really have to be there to appreciate it but the sound quality inside a cathedral is astounding. Between the choir and the pipe organ, it is no wonder people of the middle ages found these to be a piece of heaven on earth. Concerning its architecture, while it was very symmetric over all, I really appreciated the asymmetry when view from the front, as it makes the building more interesting in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment