Sunday, November 30, 2014

#8 – (10/09) Mercedes Garcia – Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh, PA


In the summer between my junior and senior year of high school, I attended a six week pre-architecture program at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Even though the Cathedral of Learning is actually on the University of Pittsburgh campus, it is impossible to miss. It is one of the tallest buildings in Pittsburgh despite not being a part of the traditional downtown skyline. Its history was mostly unknown to me at the time I was actually there but since then I have learned that its construction predates World War II. While it was mostly seen as an excess expense, natives now tend to view it with esteem. More than once when asking people what this building was or what it was used for, I received an impromptu lesson on Pittsburgh architecture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment