Sunday, November 30, 2014

#7 – (10/02) Mercedes Garcia – Parthenon in Nashville, TN



The Parthenon in Nashville is an exact replica of the Athenian Parthenon built for the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in 1897. Inside is the Nashville Art Museum, which is not limited to classical or ancient artworks but does contain a full sized statue of the Athena Parthenos as its permanent centerpiece. While the specifics of the original Athena Parthenos are not known (it was destroyed in the 5th century AD), this recreation was made with the surviving details in mind. It stands at 41ft tall and is gilded in gold leaf. Because it is indoors, the size of this sculpture is truly affecting. I was thirteen when I visited this site and what I remember the most is how small it made me feel. I had never quite realized the massiveness that an ancient building could achieve or what it feat it was to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment