Wednesday, November 12, 2014

#6 – (9/25) Mercedes Garcia – Pritzker Pavilion




The Pritzker Pavilion is located in the heart of Millennium Park in downtown Chicago. While it is not a building in the traditional sense (it is actually a band shell), it still manages to be conspicuous against the backdrop of the some of the most notable buildings in the Chicago skyline. It was designed by Frank Gehry under the commission of the city in order to house (among other events) the Grant Park Music Festival. Because of its location within Grant Park proper, however, its lawn and the surrounding area are often occupied. On my first visit to Millennium Park, the Pritzker Pavilion was the most noticeable structure in the area to me. I remember thinking I had never seen a public space like this and the natives who I asked seemed to agree that the Pritzker Pavilion added to the novelty of living in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment