Saturday, October 4, 2014

Post 7, Alexandra Bradford



This building is so familiar to me. The Catlett Music Center elicits memories of my first piano recitals, boldly walking down the stairs from the audience to play my piece in front of all the parents and piano students and having my Alice in Wonderland doll with me. Fifteen years later I was in the same room again for my theory classes as an undergraduate. I was here every year growing up for judging festivals, yes they combined the two, and theory tests (also part of the festival). My freshman year, my theory classes were at 8 and 8:30 every morning, and three days a week there was a quiz at the beginning of class. I would wake up at 8:25, put on my winter gear, get on my bike and high tail it Catlett. I would get there almost right on time. 

Designed by Kaighn Associates Architects, it is supposed to have a Gothic Cherokee style. The roof is copper, which is supposed to darken over time. It wasn't completed until 1998, much later than I would have guessed. The music library is down a ramp, of which there are many, so it is underground. There are three beautiful halls, Sharp, Gothic (the foyer with all the tall windows out front), and Pittman. My jury class was held in Sharp and Pittman, and I got to play there once a week. As a music major, I also attended a lot of events here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment